Arianna Occhipinti Il Frappato 2014 IGT Terre Siciliane
- Rated 4.5 stars
- Reviewed by: Treve Ring
- Published on: March 8, 2017
- Last modified: March 8, 2017
Herbal, perfumed woodsy flowers; this biodynamic Frappato is from 50- to 60-year-old vines grown on Sicilian sands and chalk, at 280 m altitude. 70% of the wine is macerated for 2 months on its skins, while the other 30% stayed on its skins for 8 months. It was aged 14 months in large 25 hl Slavonian oak barrels before a 1-month stint in bottle before being bottled unfiltered. A herbal earthy and salty cut lures you into this light-bodied, expressive and beguilingly floral red, one held riveted with fine but ample grippy tannins. Frappato's florals abound: iris, lilac, blue plum, sap and sweet salami lead the textural, rock-dust palate to the salty mushroom boullion on the finish. Even better the 2nd day, this intriguing wine is one for adventurous drinkers to return to again and again.