2013 Triggs International Premium Vinifera Lecture
Kobus Hunter, an international viticulture expert from South Africa, will be presenting the 2013 Triggs International Premium Vinifera Lecture Series. He will share insights with the Canadian industry on managing quality grape production under erratic environmental conditions. Organized by Brock University’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI), the event will mark the eighth in the series and the second time it will be a national affair with events in both Ontario (Aug. 21 and 22) and British Columbia (Aug. 27 and 28). “The grapevine is an extremely forgiving entity,” Hunter says, “but with great potential for product excellence. Achieving the latter requires understanding and skill from both viticulturists and winemakers.”
The first day in each province will be vineyard visits and a technical tour, with a public lecture being held on day two. The format allows participants to interact with Hunter and hear more about his practical principles for increasing grape and wine quality. All sessions are free, and individuals are encouraged to register for, and attend, all visits, tours and lectures that fit their schedule.
To help ensure that this year’s event could be held in both provinces, BASF Canada, a company that provides crop protection products to the grape industry, stepped in to sponsor travel related costs.
“The events in Ontario and British Columbia promote innovation and excellence in a unique sector that we are proud to be associated with,” said Scott MacDonald, Horticulture Marketing Manager with BASF Canada. The Ontario public lecture will be live streamed from the CCOVI website and added to the online video archive after the event.
Ontario event (all times in eastern daylight time)
Wednesday, Aug. 21 – vineyard visits and technical workshop
* 9 a.m. – Huebel Farm Estates, 14510 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls (Queenston)
* 10:45 a.m. – Talon Ridge vineyard, 3286 17th Street, St. Catharines
* 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. – lunch hosted at Thirty Bench vineyards, 4181 Mountainview Road, Beamsville
* 1:30 p.m. – Thirty Bench vineyards
Thursday, Aug. 22 – public lecture
* 7:30 p.m. Academic South room 215, Brock University, 500 Glenridge Avenue, St. Catharines
British Columbia event (all times in Pacific daylight time)
Tuesday, Aug. 27 – vineyard visits and technical workshop
* 9 a.m. – Cedar Creek vineyard, 5445 Lakeshore road, Kelowna
* 10:45 a.m. – Summerhill vineyard, 4870 Chute Lake road, Kelowna
* 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. – lunch hosted at Summerhill vineyard
* 1:30 p.m. – Tantalus vineyard, 1670 Dehard road, Kelowna
Wednesday, Aug. 28 – public lecture
* 7:30 p.m. Pacific Agri-Food Research Centre, 4200 Highway 97, Summerland
Launched in 2004, with a generous donation from Don and Elaine Triggs, the series was created to attract and showcase world leaders in the cultivation of premium vinifera grapes. The lecture provides industry stakeholders, researchers and students access to the most current developments in the field of viticulture. This series is part of CCOVI’s outreach support activities to the national grape and wine industry. The agenda for both events, registration details and Hunter’s biography can be found here