Wassail (Hot Spiced Apple Juice)
By Kaleigh Jorgenson
At Creek & Gully Cider, we gather around a giant vat of our fresh pressed apple juice infused with warming spices to spread [Wassail] cheer with our friends and neighbours. You can use whole spices to your liking — try allspice, coriander, Sichuan peppercorn or juniper. We like ours with a splash of brandy or topped off with one of our dry sparkling ciders. We ship our organic juice and cider all across Canada to warm up your winter nights.
Makes approximately 2 litres
- 1 tbsp. whole green cardamom
- 1 tbsp. whole cloves
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 large knob of ginger (smashed)
- 2 small oranges (unpeeled, sliced horizontally in rounds)
- 2 organic apples (unpeeled, sliced horizontally in rounds)
- Rosehips (optional)
- 2L Creek & Gully fresh pressed organic juice
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, toast spices dry over medium heat till fragrant, approx. 5 minutes stirring occasionally
- Pour Creek & Gully juice to pot
- Add ginger, rosehips, apple and oranges slices to pot
- Turn heat down to medium-low and infuse for at least one hour, keeping below a simmer
- Strain into mugs and serve hot as is, or with a shot of brandy or sparkling cider
- Happy Wassailing to you!
About Kaleigh Jorgensen:
Kaleigh Jorgensen is co-owner of Creek & Gully Cider on the Naramata Bench, B.C. along with her family. Creek & Gully makes naturally sparkling cider from their own certified organic apples grown on their 5th Generation farm in Naramata. Kaleigh is passionate about community, collaboration, and creative ferments. These days you can find her out in the orchard, or restoring their family’s farmhouse with her young son, husband, and dog.