Mad About Fruit
With spring now in full swing, it’s a great time to stock up on fresh fruit juices. Pick up a few bags of grapefruits and oranges to squeeze yourself. Although the nutrients present in boxed juices and fresh squeeze are more or less comparable, the taste of freshly squeezed juice is out of this world. In moderation, juice provides a natural and powerful way to maintain good health and supply the body with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. What’s more, pure fruit juices are fat-free, sodium-free, and free from added sugars.
“Healthy eating should always be a priority, especially with flu season still lingering after the long winter,” says Lydia Knorr, MHSc., a Registered Dietitian with the Florida Department of Citrus. “The nutrients in grapefruit juice are associated with maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, a healthy heart, and controlling blood pressure. Adding 100 per cent grapefruit juice to your diet is a simple and effective way to support your immune system and keep your energy levels high.”
Some of the vital nutrients found in grapefruit juice include:
• Vitamin C – a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight cell and tissue damage and infection. Just one 250 mL glass of 100 per cent pure Florida grapefruit juice provides over a full day’s supply of Vitamin C.
• Potassium – plays a vital role in preserving cardiovascular function and has been associated with lower blood pressure and reduced risk of stroke.
Magnesium – may help to control blood pressure and works with calcium and phosphorous in maintaining bone health.
• Fibre – helps regulate cholesterol levels and digestion and has been associated with decreasing the risk of certain cancers such as colorectal cancer.
Thiamin – helps to convert carbohydrates and nutrients into energy and is also active in the production and repair of DNA.
Try a Sunshine Shake as a healthy alternative to an energy drink on a hot day. Full of 100 per cent pure orange juice and grapefruit juice, a Sunshine Shake is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. Whether for breakfast, mid-afternoon snack or evening treat, this recipe is great any time of day.
Makes 2 servings
1 cup 100% pure orange juice
1/2 cup 100% pure grapefruit juice
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour into a glass, and serve immediately.