Baked Vegetable Gumbo Creole From Tony Burke
1 lb Fresh okra,diag. sliced
2 pk Frozen sliced okra(10oz)
Boiling salted water 1 Rib celery,diagonally sliced
2 Bell peppers,in strips
2 pk Frozen lima beans(10oz)
8 Ears fresh corn kernels
2 pk Frozen corn,thawed(10oz)
Butter or margarine Bread crumbs 1 Small onion,chopped
4 Ripe tomatoes,sliced
2 Serrano chiles,thinly sliced
1 ts Chopped fresh basil
1/2 ts Dried basil,crumbled
Salt to taste Black pepper to taste 1/2 c Shredded Monterey Jack
1. Cook fresh okra briefly in boiling salted water; drain.
2. Blanch celery in boiling salted water.
3. Add bell peppers and lima beans and cook until just tender; during last
30 seconds, add corn (do not overcook), then drain vegetables.
4. Butter a large baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs; add a layer
of corn-bean mixture and okra. 5. Combine onion, tomatoes and basil; spoon layer of onion-tomato mixture
over bottom layer in dish. 6. Sprinkle with chiles and season with salt and pepper.
7. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
8. Repeat layering until casserole is filled.
9. Top with a layer of okra that has been dipped in crumbs and lightly
sauteed in butter; sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese if desired. 10. Bake uncovered in preheated 300' over for 1 hour.
NOTE: This can be baked in the morning and reheated slowly before serving. It tastes even better the second day.