Michelle Wallace’s recipe for Miso Glazed Smoked Salmon
For the marinade:
3-4 Lb salmon side with skin on
5 tbsp white miso
5 tbsp crushed pineapple (in pineapple juice)
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp togorashi or cayenne pepper or Korean chili flake (optional)
white sesame seeds
scallions, thinly sliced
1. Mix together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl
2. Place the salmon, skin side down, onto a piece of plastic wrap longer than the salmon side
3. Slather flesh side of salmon with marinade
4.Wrap the salmon tightly with the plastic wrap and marinade for at least 24 hours no longer than 48 hours
5. Unwrap salmon and scrape a bit of the marinade off the salmon (do not rinse under water), leave salmon to come to room temperature before placing on smoker or grill
6. Preheat the smoker to 200-225 degrees. The wood that you use is up to you, but a fruit wood would work great here. If using a grill, set coals/wood to one side of the grill.
7. Lightly oil the skin side of the salmon and place onto the smoker skin side down. If using a grill, place onto the grill skin side down over indirect heat (not directly over the coals/wood)
8. Cook until desired doneness. 120-125 degrees for medium rare to 145 degrees for well done. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes and serve.
This salmon can be a great centerpiece for an amazing feast for the family or even a great sandwich with some quick pickled vegetables. There are so many ways to enjoy this quick cooking dish with big flavor!