Amrita Amesur’s Family Recipe for Sindi Kadhi
By Quench Staff / Premium Content / April 16th, 2023 / Like
Sindhi Kadhi Recipe
Recipe for 3-4 servings
For the tempering
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methi
- ¼ tsp asafoetida or hing
- 1 stick of fresh curry leaves
- ½ inch Grated ginger
- 4-5 pungent green chillies cut into chunks
- Vegetables (include or exclude as per preference)
- 1 large potato, quartered into 4 cubes
- 1 white radish, cut lengthwise into 4inch long sticks
- 50 grams or a handful of cluster beans / guvaar bhaaji
- 1 drumstick of the moringa plant, cut into 4 pieces
- 50 grams or a handful of okra / ladies finger/ bhindi with their heads removed and slit through to expose the insides
- 5 tbsp – Besan or chickpea flour
- 3 tbsp whisked in a cup of water for slurry
- 2 tbsp to be roasted in oil
- 1 ball of tamarind, steeped in hot water
- 1 tbsp shaved jaggery/sugar (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or pressure cooker (preferably), add in the oil and wait till warm. With a medium flame, tip in the cumin and fenugreek seeds and fry till aromatic and lightly golden brown. Once done, also add in the asafoetida.
- Before any of the whole spices burn, lower the flame and add in 2 tbsp of besan and roast the flour in the oil, while stirring until the flour becomes aromatic and golden brown. Tip in the besan slurry and stir through ensuring there are no lumps. Use a whisk if necessary.
- Add in all of the vegetables, the aromatics, the turmeric, the tamarind, salt, enough water to cover and pressure cook for one or two whistles or until the vegetables are tender and cooked through. If not using a pressure cooker, put on a heavy lid on the pot and cook until tender.
- Taste the kadhi at this stage and adjust for salt, sour and sweet, as necessary. Add in the jaggery/sugar now, if using and stir through until dissolved.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with freshly steamed rice.