Quail Lettuce Delight
Lup cheong, Shiitake mushroom, cilantro and water chestnuts / serves 6
About the dish: Coda is influenced by Adam D’Sylva’s extensive travels around the globe, his heritage, history and love of Asian flavours. This dish has been on their menu from the start and is now a signature.
- 2 whole cosberg (separate leaves)
- 1 lup cheong sausage (diced) [note: the Cantonese name for Chinese sausage]
- 4 spring onions (sliced into rounds)
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- 4 dried Shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated and diced)
- 6 water chestnuts (frozen variety, diced)
- 10 sprigs cilantro (picked and washed)
- 200 g quail meat (minced)
- 15 g corn flour
- 50 ml water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 whole egg
- In a bowl, mix water, corn flour, salt and egg together, then add quail mince and mix well.
- In a hot wok fry quail mixture until caramelized and fluffy.
- Add vegetables and continue cooking until onions are cooked through and aromatic.
- Remove from heat and season with dressing (see recipe below) and cilantro leaves.
- Divide evenly into lettuce cups, serve immediately.
For the Dressing:
- 100 ml Healthy Boy Brand light soy sauce
- 40 ml Shaoxing cooking wine (otherwise known as shàoxīng jiǔ)
- 25 ml oyster sauce
- 5 ml sesame oil
Mix together well.
photo supplied by Coda