Reach Your Peak With Citrus
Are you hoping to get your body all toned up for summer? Before rushing off to the gym remember that incorporating natural, healthy options into daily eating habits is necessary to build and sustain energy levels during, and in between workouts. Tidings brings lots of tips and delicious recipes to help you get healthy and fit in time for the warm weather.
• maintain a well-balanced diet for an active lifestyle
• look out for seasonal fruit and vegetables because they provide a natural source of essential nutrients and vitamins that can help you keep going all day long, whether it’s a rigorous workout or a long workday.
• eat 1/2 a grapefruit every morning or add it to salads and stir-fries; it’s filled with vital vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin C, fibre, potassium and magnesium
• opt for 100 per cent Florida orange or grapefruit juice instead of sports drinks as a healthier source of energy and a great addition to a morning smoothie
• try a tropical fruit salad with grapefruit, tangerines and pineapple for dessert
For an interesting take on a healthy salad, try the recipe below courtesy of the Florida Department of Citrus.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Grapefruit Salad
Makes 6 servings
3 sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs/1.25 kg), peeled and chopped
45 mL (3 tbsp) pure maple syrup
15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme
2 Florida Ruby Red Grapefruits* (about 1 1/2 lbs/750 g)
2 L (8 cups) baby spinach
25 mL (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
15 mL (1 tbsp) canola oil
Pinch freshly ground pepper
1. In a large bowl, toss together sweet potatoes, maple syrup and thyme to coat evenly. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 220 degrees C (425 degrees F) oven for about 30 minutes or until tender and golden. Return to bowl.
2. Meanwhile, using a serrated knife, cut both ends off grapefruits. Using sawing motion, cut skin and white pith off and discard. Cut grapefruit between membranes into segments into sweet potato bowl. Stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, toss spinach with vinegar, oil and pepper. Divide among plates and top with roasted sweet potato and grapefruit mixture.