Cooking Challenge: Asparagus, Potato and Watermelon Salad with Garlic Chive Dressing
By Rosemary Mantini / Food / July 9th, 2013 / 4
The Tidings Cooking Challenge is an opportunity for food lovers to try their hand at creating something together. Not all in the same kitchen, of course. Rather, try the recipe in your own time and then come back and tell us what you thought of it. You can add your comments below.
This summer salad makes use of all the wonderful fresh fruit and vegetable available to us around this time of year. If you’d like to substitute any of the ingredients, go ahead! The ingredients below are really only a guideline. You change it up in any way you’d like. Oh, and have fun, of course.
Asparagus, Potato and Watermelon Salad with Garlic Chive Dressing
Cooking Challenge – Asparagus, Potato and Watermelon Salad with Garlic Chive Dressing
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 1 lb of watermelon, peeled and seeded
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives (optional)
- Green Onion Dressing
- Salt, to taste
- 8 garlic chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped
- Salt, to taste
Green Onion Dressing
- Snap off and discard tough asparagus ends. Grill or steam asparagus; cook until barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in salted, boiling water until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool; set aside.
- Cut watermelon into 1/4-inch-thick cubes.
- Line a platter with mixed greens. Drizzle a little of the Garlic Chive Dressing over them and gently mix.
- Arrange asparagus, potatoes, watermelon and olives over the greens. Drizzle dressing overtop and serve.
- In a food processor, purée the garlic chives and all remaining ingredients, except the salt.
- Season to taste with salt.
Garlic Chive Dressing
Quench Food and Drink Magazine 2014, www.quench.me