Chicken with Olives, Pancetta & Rosemary
4 chicken legs, patted dry
4 chicken thighs, patted dry
150 grams of thinly sliced pancetta cut in half
2 medium red onions, cut into thick slices
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed with the back of your knife
4 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 cup of Nocellara del Belice olives
½ bottle of dry white wine
5 tablespoons of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium sized heavy bottomed pot over high heat. Season the chicken with salt and fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove from the pot.
- Discard the oil left in the pot and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, return the pot to medium-high heat.
- Fry the pancetta until golden, add the sliced onions, garlic and rosemary, continue to fry until the onions have softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste and white wine, allow to simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, olives and just enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover tightly with a lid and place in the oven.
- Braise the chicken for 1 ½ hours.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes before serving.