#FridayCocktail – A Toast to Canada Braai Day
In South Africa, a braai – the Afrikaans term for barbeque – is a deeply engrained, nationally-treasured ritual. So much so, that it was given its own holiday and is championed for its unifying merit and cultural significance.
Tomorrow, September 20, is Canada Braai Day, a celebration launched last year by South Africa’s leading producer and marketer of spirits and wines, Distell Group Limited. All Canadians are invited to celebrate the end of our summer grilling season – and our own ethnically diverse and culturally rich nation – by raising a glass and sharing time with family and friends.
If your looking to celebrate in true South African style, with a unique cocktail, try one of these Amarula Cream based libations. Certainly one of my favourite liqueurs, Amarula is a made from the fermented, hand-harvested marula fruit of South Africa.
Amarula Fiery Dusk
2 oz Amarula Cream
1 generous scoop of vanilla ice cream
1 tsp freshly chopped chili
1 whole fresh chili or vanilla pod, for garnish
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker (do not include garnish) or blender and shake/blend until smooth.
- Pour into a martini glass, with ice cubes, and garnish with a fresh whole chili or vanilla pod.
Amarula Mint Splash
1 oz Amarula Cream
1 oz peppermint liqueur
2 oz fresh cream
Fresh mint, for garnish
Peppermint crisp chocolate, for garnish
- Place all ingredients, excluding garnishes, in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
- Shake and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with crushed peppermint crisp chocolate and add fresh mint.
For additional recipes, food pairings and contests, visit braai.ca