Inniskillin Winner at Sélections Mondiales Competition
Inniskillin Winery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario has received the top honour of “Best Producer” at the 16th Annual Sélections Mondiales des Vins Canada. Due to its reputation for quality, many consider this international wine competition to be the most important in North America. Inniskillin wines had the highest average score out of all 600 wineries that competed.
This award, earned on home turf, comes fresh on the heels of Inniskillin capturing the top award at Vinitaly’s massive international competition. Bruce Nicholson, director of Inniskillin winemaking comments, “I am extremely pleased that the scores allowed our wines to take the top spot amidst such a wide selection of international wines.”
Sélections Mondiales des Vins Canada took place from May 26 to 31, 2009 at the Hotel Palace Royal, Quebec City. Over 600 wineries from 32 countries entered over 1800 wines. The event jurors emphasized the outstanding quality of the competing products with 554 awarded products this year. The “Best Producer” prize is awarded to the winery that gained the highest average score for the wines presented in the competition. To be eligible, the producer must have presented a minimum of five products.
The Inniskillin wines, which won awards that collectively led to the Best Producer Prize, are:
Gold: 2007 Cabernet Franc Icewine;
Silver: 2006 Sparkling Vidal Icewine; 2007 Riesling Icewine; 2007 Vidal Icewine; 2006 Oak Aged Vidal Icewine; 2007 Winemaker’s Series Two Vineyards Riesling; and 2007 Winemaker’s Series Three Vineyards Chardonnay;
Inniskillin Winery was established in 1975 by co-founders Donald Ziraldo and Karl Kaiser. The wineries vineyards are located in the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario and the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia. Inniskillin came to the fore internationally thanks to its Icewines, which can be found in over 68 countries around the world.
If you’d like to try Inniskillin wines for yourself, you can pick them up at the following locations.
• 2007 Cabernet Franc Icewine: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake, to be released in Ontario through Vintages December 5, 2009;
• 2006 Sparkling Vidal Icewine is sold out.
• 2007 Riesling Icewine: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake, to be released in Ontario through Vintages Fall 2009;
• 2007 Vidal Icewine: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Wine Rack, LCBO, SAQ, BCLDB, MLCC, NSLC, NLC, NB Liquor, and liquor stores in Alberta;
• 2006 Oak Aged Vidal: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake;
• 2007 Winemaker’s Series Two Vineyards Riesling: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and select Wine Rack and LCBO stores in Ontario;
• 2007 Winemaker’s Series Three Vineyards Chardonnay: at the winery boutique in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and select Wine Rack and LCBO stores in Ontario.